Preventing MRSA in Health Clubs, Gyms, and Schools
What you need to know about MRSA
- MRSA is a type of staph (Staphylococcus aureus) infection. Staph is a common bacterium found on the skin of many healthy individuals. MRSA (or Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) has developed a resistance to typical antibiotic treatments, however can be treated by your health provider with proper treatment and specialty antibiobics.
- There are two types of MRSA. HA-MRSA is hospital acquired MRSA, occurring most frequently among persons in hospitals and healthcare facilities who have weakened immune systems. The other type is community acquired, or CA-MRSA.
- CA-MRSA is spread from ?person to person? by contact. That?s why sports related transmission of MRSA is so common. It?s important for athletes in particular to practice good hygiene, cover open cuts or scrapes, and not share equipment.
- CA-MRSA can also be spread by contacting a surface that harbors the MRSA bacteria.
- MRSA bacteria existing outside the body can be addressed by proper cleaning and hygiene.
HEITS MRSA Intensive
The HEITS MRSA INTENSIVE package is offered to facilities concerned about an outbreak of MRSA. It incorporates the HEITS MRSA Prevention Package (see below) with an intensive cleaning specific to pinpointing and treating MRSA transfer points. This package includes the disinfecting of every surface of concern, such as desktops, chairs, file cabinets, all locker surfaces, sports equipment, walls, etc.
The MRSA INTENSIVE service uses a two-step cleaning and disinfecting process. The first step assures the surfaces are completely free of soil and organic material. HEITS uses an environmentally preferred, hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner that leaves surfaces clean and ready for disinfection. The second step uses a neutral pH, quaternary-based, broad spectrum disinfectant.
HEITS MRSA Prevention Package
This package is designed as a regular maintenance package for health clubs and fitness gyms that have been following a regular maintenance schedule with surfaces that are not heavily soiled. Under these conditions, HEITS is able to use a one-step disinfecting procedure.
The product is a cleaner / disinfectant recognized by the EPA to be an effective disinfectant when used on mildly soiled surfaces. This quaternary-based, hospital-type broad spectrum disinfectant can be used on any surface that are maintained on a daily basis. Our trained crews assure full dwell time for maximum killing performance.
STEP ONE: General Areas, Cleaning
All surfaces are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with our one-step, EPA-registered quaternary-based, broad spectrum, hospital-type disinfectant that kills MRSA, in addition to a broad range of Gram negative and Gram positive bacteria. Crews assure full dwell time for maximum results.
STEP TWO: Locker Rooms
Since MRSA can be spread by touching surfaces that harbor the bacteria, all locker room surfaces are thoroughly cleaned with the one-step cleaner/disinfectant. Included is the cleaning and disinfecting of the interior and exteriors areas of lockers, bench surfaces, countertops, walls, stall areas, and wall appliances.
STEP THREE: Locker Rooms: Shower Stalls
Showers required special attention. Periodically, they are cleaned and disinfected with another one-step product that is an acid-based disinfectant. Its unique formulation clings to vertical surfaces for full disinfecting power. It is effective against antibiotic resistant bacteria including both MRSA and VRE (Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis).
To maintain showers on a daily basis, HEITS uses a one-step, neutral pH, quaternary-based, broad spectrum disinfectant.
STEP FOUR: Locker Rooms: Hand Hygiene
Statistics show that frequent hand washing is critical to curbing the spread of MRSA. HEITS recommends the use of light foam Hand Wash & Sanitizer. The product is a chloroxylenol-based foaming skin cleanser formulated to reduce potential disease causing bacteria and prevent cross contamination by hand contact.
These types of soaps and dispensers are proven to be more economical, as users consumer less soap product that traditional liquid products.
HEITS monitors the usage of soap and paper towels to assure your facility is always stocked.
STEP FIVE: Equipment
Wrestling mats, exercise machines, and equipment are individually cleaned and disinfected with the one-step cleaner and disinfectant. Individiual hand weights, football equipment, and aerobic mats cleaning and disinfecting are addtional.
HEITS gives you an option of obtaining spray bottles and towel dispensers strategically placed throughout the facility to encourage members to practice equipment wipe-down throughout daily use.